In housebuilding and shipbuilding a transom may be simply a crossbeam, but in small craft the word refers specifically to the transverse after end of the hull, including any stiffening beams or structure. A hull may have a pointed stern, a cut-off transom stern, or an up-sloping and overhanging Counter which itself may end in a miniature ‘transom’ to which the name ‘archboard’ is properly given.