A wale is a strake standing proud of the planking, and the gunwale should be the uppermost member along each side of a hull, linking all the ribs and the topmost plank. But the usage now has it simply as the upper edge of the ships side, even in resinglass boats where no such structural wale exists. It is pronounced gunnel, as you are perfectly well aware. (Please see Sheer strake, too.)