Very often called a Toe-rail nowadays, the rail is the piece that forms the deck edge. Not as high as a Bulwark, it may nonetheless have a capping piece. In the past it was made of timber, but nowadays it may be of angle-section aluminium alloy, with close-spaced holes which provide useful attachments for this and that. An undecked boat does not have a rail, but has a Gunwale. The railing that stops you falling off some decks is best called the Guard rail.