The Magenta Project, the largest international network of top female sailors, is launching at Aberdeen Asset Management Cowes Week.
Set up as a legacy of the Volvo Ocean Race Team SCA, the Magenta Project’s aim is to advance women in professional sailing with a mission to increase the number of women competing at the highest level of the sport from 3% to 10% by 2020.
The network spans the globe and is supported by world-class sailors, Olympians, Paralympians and World Champions.
In line with their mission to provide real opportunities and support for up-and-coming sailors, they will be involved in a number of activities including coaching for the Under-25 Team ‘Pimp My Ride’ winners; sailing with British Paralympic sailor Helena Lucas, just before she heads to Rio, and providing a once-in-a-lifetime sailing opportunity aboard a M32 high-performance catamaran for the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation.
The Magenta Project will also be playing a key role during the Slingsby Ladies Day by challenging TV celebrity, Nick Knowles to Get His Kit On! during a question and answer session. Libby Greenhalgh, The Magenta Project’s director of operations, will also be relinquishing her 2015 prize to the new 2016 winner.
Details of activities
Monday 8 August:
- Sailing with Helena Lucas (Paralympic Gold medallist 2012 and 2016 TeamGB representative)
- Opportunities for upcoming UK talent to experience the high performance catamaran M32
Tuesday 9 August – Ladies Day:
- Supporting sailors of the Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation (ASSF) M32 sailing
- 1600: Meet The Magenta Project Q & A in Cowes Yacht Haven with Sam Davies, Annie Lush and Libby Greenhalgh
- 1615: ‘Get your kit on competition’ watch as Nick Knowles takes on Sam Davies
- Slingsby Ladies Day presentation in the evening
Wednesday 10 August:
- Media Sailing in the M32 with The Magenta Project
- The Magenta Project Press Conference
- Have a beer, share a story at The Pier View with The Magenta Project in the evening
The team behind the Swallows & Amazons remake will be among those attending this year's Cowes Week regatta
The British Paralympic Association (BPA) have named London 2012 sailing champion Helena Lucas as the first athlete selected to represent…
With less than one month to go until the 2016 Rio Games, we look at the British Olympic and Paralympic…
Arab nation's first ever all-female crew gets top British skipper
HMS Northumberland returning to UK for Christmas diverts to aid stricken yacht
First woman to sail solo, non-stop, the 'wrong way' around the world scoops prestigious award
British yachtswoman breaks record
Dee Caffari arrived in Southampton to a hero's welcome yesterday, where hundreds of well-wishers gathered despite the rain.
Six exhausted and weather-worn celebrities and six Volvo Ocean Race veterans crossed the finish line of the BT Sport Relief…