All are welcome to take part in a series of seminars this Spring
The technical hub of the Royal Ocean Racing
Club (RORC) is delivering a series of seminars to clubs all over the UK.
Nine presentations will be held, starting tomorrow and running until March, with venues stretching
from the Isle of Wight on the South Coast to Inverkip on the Clyde in
The roadshow by the UK-based RORC Rating Office aims to
encourage all the clubs in a specific region to work together to offer cohesive
and attractive racing to club sailors for the benefit of all.
The idea for the seminars came from a survey run by the
Rating Office last winter, which showed that sailors had many varied priorities
and concerns about racing, either under Spinlock IRC or local
The seminars are being presented by RORC’s technical
director Mike Urwin, who said: ‘These seminars
will offer a discussion forum about improving turnouts generally; the
advantages of dual scoring, class splits, types of courses, and any other
issues relating to cruiser racing.
‘They should also dispel some of the many myths surrounding
IRC, such as the idea that it is only suitable for grand prix racers, which is
very far from the truth.’
Mike will also be explaining the highly practical
initiative for 2013, the Limited Validity TCC, for those who might like to do
one or two IRC events a year.
In addition, members of the RYA Technical office will be
attending at least one of the seminars to introduce the new National Handicap
scheme for Cruisers (NHC).
The RORC Rating Office is urging all the individuals
undertaking key roles at the local clubs to attend, such as the sailing
secretary, club secretary, captain of racing and other flag officers; and of
course the sailors.
Events will be held at:
- Parkstone Yacht Club, Poole on Wednesday 30 January, from
- Blackwater Sailing Club, East Coast, Sunday 3 February,
from 10.30am – all day
- Kip Marina, Inverkip, Scotland, Monday 11 February, from
- Brighton Marina Yacht Club, Brighton, Wednesday 13
February, from 7.30pm
- Cardiff Bay Yacht Club, South Wales, Tuesday 19 February,
- Pembroke Haven Yacht Club, Wednesday February 20, from
- Royal Southern Yacht Club, Sunday 3 March, from 10.30am
- Guernsey Yacht Club, Channel Islands, Thursday 14 March,
- Island Sailing Club, Isle of Wight, Thursday 21 March, from
If you would be interested in arranging or hosting a
seminar in an area not covered here, email firstname.lastname@example.org