Experienced powerboat racers Peter Dredge and Simon Wood-Power, along with engineer Lee Hurst and Peter’s teenage son Simon were involved in Wednesday’s crash in the Solent.

It is believed that the £1million Vector powerboat prototype was on a scheduled test run at the time of the incident.

In a statement the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) said it is now known that the persons involved are, Peter Dredge, a former RYA Powerboat Racing Manager, past committee member and current powerboat racer.  His son, Simon Dredge, Simon Wood-Power, also a former RYA Powerboat Racing committee chairman and current powerboat racer and Lee Hurst, an engineer from Ross Marine.

It is understood that two of the individuals involved are still under medical care with the other two having been discharged from hospital.

RYA powerboat racing manager Jeni Jelf said: ‘Peter Dredge and Simon Wood-Power are both highly regarded within the powerboat racing community and both are extremely knowledgeable and experienced in this type of craft.

‘Although the incident was not in conjunction with any RYA activity or event, the persons involved have a long standing connection to the association.

‘On behalf of the Powerboat Racing Department along with its associated competitors, clubs and committee members, we would like to convey our thoughts and best wishes to those involved, especially those still receiving medical care and their families.’

Two Calshot RNLI lifeboats were launched at 8.30am on Wednesday, 13 May, following a report from the Coastguard that a speedboat had collided with the cardinal marker and overturned, just outside the Hamble River.

Calshot RNLI Helmsman Mark Weatherhead  said: ‘We arrived within minutes to find a nearby workboat had managed to pull all four occupants of the speedboat from the water.

‘Our RNLI crew members, which included a paramedic, immediately went aboard the workboat and began treating all four people who were injured. Three of them had suffered head injuries with one serious.

‘A rescue helicopter then winched down a paramedic to our D-class RNLI lifeboat who was then taken aboard the workboat to help treat the injured.’

All four casualties were taken to shore at Warash where they were met by waiting paramedics. They were taken to hospital by ambulance.

The Daily Echo has reported that the teenager, Simon Dredge, who sustained a serious head injury, has now been transfered to a London hospital for further treatment.