Don't miss the photo gallery 'Blown Away' and your chance to win £250 of vouchers
The RYA has announced an action packed week of activity for the Tullet Prebon London International Boat Show 2010, from expert talks and prestigious award ceremonies to great member offers and competitions.
And be sure not to miss the photo Gallery ‘Blown Away’ by Robert Wilson – Sample pictured.
Going for Gold
Saturday 9 Jan, kicks off the first of three Going for Gold sessions (also Wednesday 13 Thursday 14 all starting at 1:00pm) in which members from Skandia Team GBR will be taking to the Main Stage to give exclusive talks on their bid to remain the world’s top Olympic Classes sailing nation.
- At 12:00pm Over on the RYA stand (N017R) Tim Bartlett, author of the RYA’s Astro Navigation book will be providing expert information and advice on navigation with his Sextant Talk
- Then at 2:00pm he will officially launch and provide an insight into the brand new RYA Publication; Introduction To Navigation.
- Then at 5:00pm the RYA’s 13 Regional Young Sailor of the Year 2009 winners will be at the show to receive their prestigious awards at this year’s eagerly anticipated winner’s ceremony. These young sailors have made a significant impact on youth sailing during 2009, ranging from gold medal wins to unrivalled effort and commitment to their clubs.
Three of the RYA regional winners, joint winners sailors Ben Gratton and Phil Sparks, powerboaters Aaron Lowther and Steve Curtis and windsurfer Isobel Hamilton have also been selected as finalists for the YJA Pantaenius Young Sailor of the Year Award, the winner of which also will be announced at the ceremony.
Wednesday 13 January (RYA Stand N017R, at approx 3:45pm) sees the unveiling of the 2009 RYA Yachtmaster of the Year presented by HRH, The Princess Royal. The award is given to the yachtsman or yachtswoman who has excelled and stood out the most when taking one of the most highly recommended qualifications in the world, the RYA Yachtmaster examination.
Throughout the show, on the main stage, the RYA has teamed up with the RNLI and MCA to highlight the importance of wearing a lifejacket. The RYA’s Andrew Norton, and RNLI and MCA experts will advise and answer any questions that you may have about the correct time to wear a life jacket, fitting and maintaining it correctly and what additional equipment you should consider investing in. Catch the ‘Life Jacket Show’ which runs at 4:00pm on the main stage every day.
The London Boat Show will also provide another chance to see the superb “Blown Away” photography exhibition, featuring iconic shots of Skandia Team GBR’s top talents, including Ben Ainslie, Iain Percy, Andrew Simpson, Pippa Wilson and Paul Goodison on location at the 2012 sailing venue at Weymouth and Portland. The exhibition by award-winning photographer Robert Wilson will be located at SO61 in the South Hall and is available to view online at www.skandiaexhibition.co.uk
- RYA members also get 20% off all RYA publications and DVDs and can pick up a Reeds Almanac for just £25.
- Following the success of the RYA knot tying competition at the 2009 Southampton Boat Show, you can once again show off your knot tying skills with the RYA ‘Sheet Bend’ knot competition. Running throughout the week on the RYA stand, record the fastest time and you could win an RYA Knots, Splices and Ropework Handbook plus £250 of RYA vouchers.
- RYA members can also benefit from exclusive use of the RYA’s Member Lounge (Platinum Suite) where they can enjoy refreshments from the restaurant and bar whilst escaping from the hustle and bustle of the exhibition halls.
- By visiting the RYA stand you can also find out more about the RYA’s new Instructor membership. This new membership offer, which goes live in February, seeks to reward and recognise the good work that instructors do by offering many exclusive discounts including a range of Musto clothing and a special price on the custom designed and branded Spinlock Deck Vest.